To achieve results, set the rules instead of goals
Goals are too cruel to us. Unfortunately, we are so arranged that rarely achieved the goals. Typically, the picture is the same and very sad: we are enthusiastically starting the movement, but in a week we are disappointed, not seeing clear progress, and we throw the undertaking.
I suggest you to set the rules – actions with a description when you should make them. They will gradually lead you to the goal. Here are some examples of rules for various purposes:
1. Purpose: Write a book. Rule: When I turn on the computer, I close a browser and all other programs, except for a text editor, and write 20 minutes.
2. Purpose: learn Spanish. Rule: When I’m going to work and from work, I listen to the audioors of the Spanish.
3. Purpose: Read more. Rule: at 21:30 I turn off the computer and read before bedtime.
4. Purpose: run the marathon. Rule: when alarm clock calls at 6 am, I go out on a jog. Or make a stretching if it’s day off.
5. Purpose: Lose Weight. Rules:
- For breakfast, I eat only oatmeal with cinnamon and berries.
- For lunch I eat black beans, brown rice, vegetables, sales sauces and guacamole.
- If I’m hungry, I can eat an apple, carrots or nuts.
- I drink only tea or water. Exception – Coffee Cup in the morning.
6. Purpose: to achieve greater awareness. Rule: Every day I get up, I go to the toilet, then drink a glass of water and meditating 5 minutes.
None of these rules can definitely bring you to the goal, but each of them will bring you to her.
How to execute the rules
The rules are beautiful in theory, but very hard work in practice. Here are some tips, how to learn to follow the rules.
1. Start entering the rules gradually. First, perform one for a week or two, then add the second, and then one more, but not too much at the same time. For myself I discovered that I can abide by the maximum of five rules.
2. The rules should not take a lot of time: 5-20 minutes for a difficult task, up to 30 minutes for simple. Do not expect perfection: nothing terrible, if it turns out bad, but strive to do better.
3. If you still feel bad to do the rule, you may need to keep a progress report or change the environment to make it easier.
4. Do not start with the rules relating to nutrition. This is the most difficult, because we cannot control the emotional overeating or other reasons why our brain makes us feel hunger. Install the rules of the food one by one and change the environment to not tempt yourself for the prohibited products: do not hold them at home and better do not go there where you can seduce them.
5. It is good to start with the rules that lead to conscious behavior, because they will configure you to more easily accept other rules.
6. Set reminders on your phone, computer or trees notes in those places where you need to remember the rules.
The rules need to constantly adjust and change to find out what works for you, and what – no. At first, you will definitely forget them to observe, here you will use reminders. You will understand that to fulfill some rules it is necessary to change the environment. This is an incredible learning process, thanks to which you will begin to understand how you act.
Rules – small steps, which over time lead to great changes. And these steps you can really make. And how rule you come up for yourself today?