Vitamins for pregnant women: what will help, and what hurts
If you are not pregnant, your need for vitamins is most likely completely overlapsing ordinary food. However, for women who expect a child, this rule works far from always.
Why pregnant need more vitamins
Pregnancy dramatically improves nutritional need. For example, the amount of protein in the diet should increase Protein and Amino Acid Requirements During Pregnancy with 0.8 g per 1 kg of weight (norm for non-embled women) at least 1.1 g per 1 kg (rate for future mothers). This is necessary in order for the female body to better adapt to the changes occurring in it and could withstand a new load. And even in order for the embryo to receive nutrients sufficient for active development.
But vitamins and trace elements are even more important than Micronutrient Deficiencies in Pregnancy Worldwide: Health Effects and Prevention . They participate in the formation of the basic systems of the body of the child – the brain, nervous system, spine, bones, muscle tissues – and are also responsible for the state of the placenta. Their disadvantage can cause development defects or provoke miscarriage.
Here are vitamins and microelements that, during pregnancy, especially need Micronutrient Deficiencies in Pregnancy Worldwide: Health Effects and Prevention:
- Vitamin B9 (folic acid), iron and iodine – they are necessary one and a half times more than usual.
- Vitamin B6 and zinc – their consumption is worth zooming by about 30%.
- Vitamin B12 – it should come about 10% more.
Vitamin Maternity Complexes contain PreNatal Vitamins: Why They Matter, how to choose is more foliage and iron than standard multivitamins for adults.
Who from pregnant women need to take vitamins additionally
Actually, all. This is recommended by Nutrition During Pregnancy, in particular, experts of the American Congress of Obstener and Gynecologists.
True, specialists make a small reservation: you can try to get the required number of trace elements from food, increasing the portion and adding the diet with high content, such as iron dishes. But in some cases, changes in nutrition will not help.
Here are the categories of Supplements During Pregnancy of pregnant women, which will absolutely accurately need a reception of vitamin complexes:
- Those who sits on a diet or bad feed. With a monotonous, limited diet, the risk that the child will not benefit important substances, especially high.
- Vegan. There are a number of vitamins and other trace elements that can be obtained only from food of animal origin or which are extremely few in plant products. Speech, for example, about vitamin B12 or zinc.
- Pregnant with strong toxicosis. Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite does not allow to get an adequate amount of vitamins from food.
- Smoking. We will not say that the cigarette would have to abandon at least 9 months and the period of breastfeeding. Let’s just say that Nicotine worsens Smoking and Nutrition to absorb vitamin C and folic acid. And therefore may cause imbrons development violations.
- Women with multiple pregnancy. Those who are waiting for more than one child, the need for trace elements is significantly higher than other future mothers.
- Pregnant with nutrient deficit. This deficit is established on the basis of blood analysis. For example, if the test showed a reduced hemoglobin level, we can talk about a lack of iron and folic acid.
What vitamins for pregnant women should be taken in and in what quantity
The most reliable way to choose vitamins that are suitable for you – consult with the therapist or a gynecologist observing your pregnancy. The doctor will examine, asking you about the health, lifestyle, will give a referral to the necessary analyzes. And based on this, the complex recommends that the correct dosage of the necessary substances contains.
If for some reason you cannot consult with your doctor, WebMD medical resource experts recommend PRENATAL VITAMINS to select a vitamin complex, which includes a daily dose of which includes:
- Vitamin B9 (folic acid) – 400 μg;
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine) – 3 mg;
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) – 2 mg;
- Vitamin B3 (niacin) – 20 mg;
- Vitamin B12 – 6 μg; – 70 mg;
- Vitamin D – 400 me;
- Vitamin E – 10 mg.
In addition, the following trace elements are needed:
- calcium – 200-300 mg;
- zinc – 15 mg;
- iron – 17 mg;
- iodine – 150 μg.
Attention! You can not exceed these norms in order not to get an overdose that is no less dangerous than the shortage of nutrients.
Prenatal Vitamins is also preferably: Why Matter, How to Choose Take Omega-3 fatty acids: They help the normal development of the brain of the future infant. As an option – to enter fatty fish or other products with high content of omega-3.
What vitamins can be dangerous for pregnant women
Do not take Vitamins, Supplements and Nutrition in Pregnancy additives with vitamin A (Retinol) without prior consultation with your doctor watching you. This antioxidant is also necessary for the development of the embryo, but it has a habit of accumulating in the body. And when re-free, retinol becomes toxic and can harm Vitamin and a child provoking congenital defects for eye development, skulls, lungs and hearts.